22 September 2012

RICHARD SNYDER



Janet Passehl's room

"One room is for eating, sleeping, singing, sex and accounting.
There is a desk,"

Dear Richard,

I am outside looking in this room through glass. I am inside this room. More will be revealed and concealed as light and temperature change, as I age, as air enters and leaves, as people move through, assisted or opposed by stillness.
Janet


Janet,
Your description is very generic! Could you give some other hints like the kind of light that is in the room, the color of sound of the singing. I understand sleeping, but what is the nature of the accounting. The phrase "The house is as clear as the panes in their steel frames" refers to a house, and not the specific room. I am ready to draw!

I have landed in my room. A complete description is forthcoming that will surely beguile you as it has done me.

Richard



Hi Richard,
That was only the beginning. There is more to come. Sorry to confuse you. It was just something for you to begin thinking about. I would argue that the "The house is as clear as the panes in their steel frames" does in fact indicate something about a room in that house.
Everything essential about the room is in the tone of this text, and I would like for you to interpret and imagine this room.
If, however, after you read it, you would like more guidance, I will provide it.
I am ready to draw, too!
J

"The house is as clear as the panes in their steel frames.
One room is for eating, sleeping, singing, sex and accounting.
There is a desk, a music stand, a thin brown mattress and a white rug across which to navigate
spillage and regret.
A child, bowl and fork.
Yellow dishes, hair-dye, old newspapers, and crayon drawings of the moon.
A sinuous pot-bound tree mimics the form of antlers on a young buck, pregnant red tips so tender
this is no room for a human."







No comments:

Post a Comment